10 Ways to Support the First Amendment
1 for All > 10 Ways to Support the First Amendment
Top 10 Ways to Support the First Amendment
- Learn what it says. Only one American in 25 can name the five freedoms of the First Amendment: freedom of religion, speech and press, and the rights of petition and assembly.
- Take a stand. “Sign” the First Amendment and join the “1 for All” campaign.
- Tweet for freedom. Use social media such as Twitter and Facebook to spread the word about the importance of the First Amendment.
- For educators, incorporate the First Amendment into your school curriculum. Lesson plans for grades K-12 explain the origins of the five freedoms and how those freedoms operate in today’s world.
- Express yourself. Be engaged in the world around you; let others know how you feel.
- Stay informed. Free speech is even better when we know what we’re talking about. Read. Learn. Share.
- Support your local library. Gain free admission to the marketplace of ideas.
- Hold public officials accountable. Ask where they stand on the First Amendment and the free flow of information.
- Stand up for others. We all love our own freedom of speech, but it’s important to support the rights of others to express their own opinions.
- Talk about it. Discuss freedom of faith in your place of worship. Explore First Amendment-themed books in your book club.